Saturday, November 18, 2006

Cheju Mandarin Orange Festival in Seoul

Just by accident, I came across this at the head of the CheonggeycheonStream. It seems to be a popular venue for similar events. The orange house is kind of cool. I love these oranges and can't wait for them to go on sale every winter.















They have a number of stalls set up, and one of them was giving out free orange drinks, but it tastes pretty bad, so I didn't buy any.



































The orange "harubang" (stone grandfather) is based on this stone model which is common on Cheju Island.




















I'm not sure what the person (girl?) in the costume was supposed to represent. I kind of expect her to be dressed like an orange.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've had a not-so-easy day. Your posts on the Mandarin Orange festival and Gingko tree made interesting reading. Lovely pictures, too. Brightened up my day. Thanks.

The Wanderer said...

Glad to be of help.

Crystal said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Crystal said...

I liked the pictures a lot! Thanks for posting this blog.
I've been living on Cheju island for almost 3years and I think I can tell you what the girl at the festival dressed like. It's Jeju women called "Hanyeo". They dive in to the sea with out aids of oxygen supply tools. They catch sea shells, octopi, and other marine goodies. :)
I came across your blog when I was just browing. Seems like you used to live Korea. I see now you have gone to a different country. I read some of other blogs you posted as well and I loved them.
I don't usually leave comments but your great job made me so. :)
I hope you are having a lovely day!
:)

Crystal