Tuesday, January 09, 2007

Korean Professional Volleyball League

I've always liked playing volleyball, so I have really enjoyed watching the Korean league this year on tv. I find it much more enjoyable than watching the Korean basketball league.

As I watch, though, I wonder about the effect of foreign players on the league. In Canada, I lost interest in the Canadian Football League because so many of the star players were Americans who couldn't make it in the NFL. What did that say about our game? Did we really need those players? Perhaps part of the problem was that ALL of the foreign players were American. It was a constant reminder of how much better they were, and they don't even grow up playing the same rules as in Canada.

I know that there is a constant struggle in Korea over the number of foreign players to be allowed on each team. I think that one of the reasons that I don't like the Korean basketball league is that each team is allowed two players, and, when both teams have two big foreign players on the floor, the rest of the team looks pretty pathetic.

With the volleyball league, each team can have only one foreign player and the men's military team has no foreigner (I always seem to be rooting for them as the underdogs). The foreign players seem to be involved in about 30% of the scores, but they don't seem to dominate the game quite as much as they do in the basketball league. Still, I wonder what the effect on the fans is. Do the fans realize that their own players aren't competive at the international level (Yes, I know that the Korean mens team won in Doha, but they got their butts kicked at the World Volleyball Championships in Japan)?

I like the level of good sportsmanship in volleyball, too. There doesn't seem to be much trash talking (except for Leandro Araujo da Silva and that was off the court - "I think Rooney is not all that great a player") and the amount of complaining to the referee that you see in football and basketball seems much less. And, for some odd reason, the entire volleyball league is composed of attractive, fit players - unlike the basketball league that seems entirely composed of pudgy, unattractive players. Does the volleyball league have a physical appearance policy?

I just wish that the teams would have better names and mascots (Yes, I realize that the Vancouver Canucks and the Memphis Grizzlies leave a lot to be desired namewise.); however:

Korean Airlines Jumbos (Is that named after a jumbo jet? Fast and graceful?)
Samsung Blue Fangs (Ooo...that's scary)
LIG Greaters (What's a "greater"?)









And on the women's side, what does a pink spider have to do with volleyball? It even looks cute, not scary.









And, I kind of wish that the KT&G Woman's Pro Volleyball Club was the "Women's" club. Am I the only one who notices things like this?









Where are the tigers, lions, and bears? Where are the Smashers and Hurricanes? Names to strike fear into the hearts of opponents.

10 comments:

Reub and Janers said...

hey... maybe you can help me. i am looking to watch some pro vb here in seoul. can you point me to where and when?
thanks,
sarahjane29@hotmail.com

Unknown said...

Hi,

I was wondering.. Could you help me. I am trying to find contact information for each of the women and men teams. I play volleyball and don't speak Korean so finding a website even has proven tough. To say the least.

Thank you!
occuro@yahoo.com

Unknown said...

Hi, I was wondering if you happened to know if there are any volleyball leagues in Seoul? I'm looking to join a club, but I'm new to Korea and I'm not sure how to go about it. Any advice is much appreciated. Thank you!

jlt9d@virginia.edu

Anonymous said...

I'm new to seoul and I'm looking to join a volleyball league. I was wondering if you knew of any to join in the city. Please let me know, thank you

linz220@hotmail.com

Unknown said...

hi,
i'm moving to seoul next week, and would love to find a place to play beach volleyball if possible (read something in the net about it, but couldn't find the address), and if not volleyball, both leagues or open gyms. Do you know of any place?
Thanks a lot man :)

jordi.matas@gmail.com

The Wanderer said...

Sorry, I never managed to meet anyone who actually played in an organized league or even regular pick-up games. You should probably try to find a Seoul foreigner's forum and post something there. I'm no longer in Korea.

aleksandra said...

Hello.I also need help.I have very good Serbian volleyball player,but I dont have contact of Korean clubs where I can send CV of this player.Please,if you have any information,e-mail,contact or you know something of someone who can help me,please contact me,I would be very grateful.If you want to set me a question,also please contact me at my e-mail
sandrasupertv@yahoo.com
Sincerely
Aleksandra

Anonymous said...

I don't live in Seoul, but I believe the International schools often have pick-up games for staff. You could try to contact someone at Seoul Foreign School to find out which night they play games. I'm not sure if the other schools do or how competitive it is, but if you love the game it's a place to play. :)

Anonymous said...

Hi,

I know that you're just expressing your opinion. but in terms of volleyball most leagues have a high number of foreign players so that they can garner more money from their sponsors. Also with so many foreign players it makes the leagues more competitive and the native players much stronger. when it's time for these players to compete with their national teams the experiences they have during league play helps them tremendously. Alot of countries also have most if not all of their national team players on 2 or 3 teams. Is that fair or competitive? No but that's the way it is...hence the foreign players. I don't think that there should be more foreigners than natives but at the end of the day no one is going to pay or come to watch mediocre games. You want the best action on the floor possible or isn't entertaining or really even worth the time. For the countries whose main sports are soccer and maybe basketball there aren't enough good players to go around so they have to go out and get foreigners. as for football it's an american sport...of course the americans are going to be better. and they aren't there just because they couldn't make it in the NFL. it might be the primary reason but for most they just aren't ready to let their dream die. If that means playing in CAnada that's what it means. if it means playing in Europe or Indoor Arena ball then so be it. When you put years of hard work and dedication into something you find ways to keep it in your life.

Unknown said...

Fact is right that the league is composed of attractive and about the fit players,the peace of facts given in this blog is just brilliant.


__________________
Dissertation Topic List