Thursday, December 11, 2008

Christmas Presents

I've been pretty good this year (The fact that I live on campus in the middle of a desert in a dry emirate that has no bars is completely beside the point.).  I'm so sure that Santa is going to bring me exactly what I want (and deserve) that I stopped by one of his out-sourced workshops at the Dubai Festival City mall.  I'd love to get a new road bike, but I really don't want to ride on my own on the hard shoulders of any of the roads in the Emirates.  So...I'm looking at an offroad bike.  I'll be able to ride on the roads around the University City and there are a lot of sand lots I can cycle in.  I have a friend in Dubai who does some really serious looking mountain biking, so I may give him a call when I'm in better shape.

At any rate, I love this bike.

Of course, this being the UAE, I said, "I'll take it with me right now (so you don't have to deliver it on Christmas day). I need some shoes, too. I need a size 10 or 10 and a half.  I'll also take a helmet and a bunch of other stuff"

The elf said, "Sorry, we have only size 12.  If you wear heavy socks, it should be okay."

"Gee, I don't think so.  I'm going to spend US$1,000 on a bike and you don't have the shoes to go with it."

I'm hoping that, by Christmas, they will have what I need.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hope you get the shoes and gear...Happy biking.

The pictures of the birds are great. Did you actually see them all? I've seen some but didn't know the names (until now, that is). The starling is suberb, beautiful red-vented bulbul, elegant Eurasian hoopoe...I've never seen the green bee-eater.