Tuesday, April 20, 2010

The Burj Khalifa

I went up the Burj Dubai Khalifa last Friday morning. I have pictures of the outside of the building in earlier posts. For Dh100, it was worthwhile. I can't imagine paying Dh400 for it though. You enter through Dubai Mall (near the More restaurant). The elevator was amazing. I've been in speedy elevators before that make you dip your knees because of the acceleration. However, we got on two floors underground and zoomed to the 124th floor in about 30 seconds with absolutely no sensation of moving. Some engineer did an amazing job figuring that out.


When you get near the building, you can look up through a "sight" at the observation deck. I didn't quite get centered when I took my picture. I'll have to try again some time.

I have, on occasion, had a touch of vertigo. However, I felt no nervousness on the 124th floor of the Burj Khalifa. You get high enough in the building that you can walk 360 degrees about the building looking out over the entire expanse of Dubai. The day that I went up, the sky was quite clear.







The Burj Khalifa has a lot of information about the construction and the whole project at the ground level. It was nicely done and well worth a casual stroll through looking at the various exhibits.














This picture was taken to the south - toward the Burj Al Arab (the sail hotel).















This picture shows Dubai Mall on the left and The Address at the top of the picture.










The next picture shows The World project. There was no construction going on and I hope that it because they have decided to give it time to settle (something that I heard was a problem on The Palm).














I got a good shot of the Burj shadow beside the Dubai Metro station.















This shot is Sheikh Zayed Road looking northeast towards downtown Dubai.














And, of course, a gratuitous picture of me.



1 comment:

Luray va accommodations said...

The Burj Khalifa is one of the most beautiful, elegant,most giant and the longest building in the whole world which has been ever constructed since yet and this is a land mark and a dream comes true in a high-tech city like Dubai.