Saturday, July 24, 2010

Leaving on a jet plane

I have left Wudang Mountain. After a 20-hour train ride in a soft-sleeper berth (an oxymoron if there ever was one - with crying babies, no one gets much sleep), I arrived in Shanghai, planning to change my plane ticket and head out to Canada in a day or two only to find that it is Saturday and the Air Canada office is closed until Monday morning. I'll be at their door at 8am when they open on Monday, hoping to get a flight out on Monday afternoon.

The trains that I have taken in China have been quite nice (except for the crying babies).

When I arrived at the Bund Hotel, I found a scale in the bathroom, and I lost 13 kilograms in the past two and a half months. I am down to 83 kilograms now. That's the lightest I've been in years. I'm not sure that I like it. I've lost a lot of upper body strength, and, even though my legs are kind of wiry and strong, they are kind of skinny. As a result, I had thought a trip to The Bund Brewery for a hamburger and a couple of beers were in order this evening.

I think I'll go to the Shanghai Museum tomorrow. I've read that it has a large, impressive collection - and it's free.

No comments: