Wednesday, March 28, 2007

What the...?

I've been following the Korean Professional Volleyball league all season with great interest (and, no, Poop, not just because the women are hot). Last weekend, the best-of-5 championship round started. Saturday, the two underdog teams won (Hyundae Capital Skywalkers - men; Hyundae Construction Foxes - women), which was kind of cool. Sunday, the Skywalkers won again and the Foxes stunk up the gym (if it's possible for a bunch of women to stink up a place). All throughout the Sunday matches, they had the times for Wednesday's matches at the top of the screen. The women's match was to be at 6:30PM and the men's match at 9PM. So, I rushed home to catch the games, arrived at 6:45, turned on the TV, and.....caught the last 5 points of the men's FINAL championship game. . The men's game must have started around 5:30.

The match went 5 games and the final game ended up 15-12 for the Skywalkers. It was probably a great match. I'm sure that it will be on the TV tomorrow morning but it's not the same watching a game when you know the score already.

I thought that it was cool that trash-talking Alejandro's team on the men's side lost. What was that you said at the beginning of the season, Alejandro? "Rooney's nothing special." Ha, he must have really studied the game tapes because he had you blocked almost every time. Just as a side note, while Alejandro was the league's dominant spiker all season, he can't serve to save his life. He's kind of the Shaquille O'Neal of volleyball.

Who plays a professional championship match at 5:30 on a Wednesday? People are working. Who changed the time? Some bigwig who wanted to make sure that he had time to go out drinking after the game? I'd like to say that I was surprised but I'm not really. Last Sunday's matches didn't start at the times they were supposed to either.

How can a professional sports league expect good fan support if they can't get the schedules straight?

I have really enjoy watching the games, and I hope that next season will be even better. I hope that the interest that was shown this season will allow the league to expand from 6 men's teams and 5 women's teams. I really want to support the league. I hope that they get the kinks worked out, but, at this time, it's not really very professional.

I hope my favorite women's team, Hyundae, win, although that's not very likely. I realize that I'm being petty, but I still haven't been able to get over the fact that the coach of the strongest team on the women's side, Heung Kuk, was suspended for two games and he sat in the stands during both matches signalling his assistants. He might be a nice guy, but I just wish he would lose. Besides Hyundae have the nicest uniforms in the league - maroon.

No comments: