Saturday, October 25, 2008

My Saturday Morning Walk About Campus

The weather has become quite pleasant. This morning, the temperature was around 28C, so I took my camera and walked the route I take every morning to school. It's about a 10 minute walk. Most days, I see only a dozen people on my way in to the office (I usually go in around 7:30am, so the campus is quiet.). I NEVER get bumped or jostled. I NEVER end up in my office furious at all the rude people around me (see my posts on Seoul). My office and classrooms are in the big domed building on campus (the Main Building).

I saw a number of birds (see the photos on the sidebar). I was thrilled to see my favorite bird - the Hoopoe. I got a number of shots, but I need to try to get it with its crest spread out. I saw a couple of Indian Rollers, but they are skittish and I didn't get any pictures yet. There were also a number of terns (also very skittish).

Living on a campus in the middle of the desert has its drawbacks. However, it is quiet and relaxing. I spend most weekdays in my office or in the classrooms. In the evenings, I go to the gym or watch TV or read. On the weekends, I go into Dubai and have a pleasant meal at the Lime Tree, More, or some other trendy cafe. Then I do my grocery shopping at Spinneys or the Organic Store and return home. If the traffic is good (it usually is when I go), it takes 30-40 minutes to get into Dubai.

I've added a video below. There's no action - just the sound of birds. If I open my windows, this is what I hear. I'm always amazed at the number and variety of birds here.

No comments: