Saturday, January 28, 2006

A new beginning

It has been another six months. I'm always a little torn about what to do with this blog. I'd like to write things that are personal and important, but I hesitate to be too open. Hmm. I'm not sure what to do about that.

As for life in Korea, it's not too bad, but not very exciting. School has finished until March 2. The Winter Session was interesting and not too stressful. When it ended, I felt very relaxed and happy. I turned in my grades, and, for the first time, I didn't worry too much about whether I was giving the correct grades. I did the best I could do.

Between this blog and the last one, I guess the only real news has been health related. I have always been active. I played basketball, baseball, and volleyball all through school. I practiced martial arts for quite awhile. I've lifted weights for years. I don't always eat the best, but I'm pretty good. I don't drink too much. And still...I have had problems with my heart for the last six years. It is very frustrating (and oddly embarrassing). The atrial flutter was first noticed in Dubai when I went into the hospital to get a navel hernia fixed (doing leg presses with 440kg was a little too much). Then two years later in Abu Dhabi, the same problem. And last summer (1 year after flutter #2), the atrial flutter cut my summer vacation in Vancouver short and I returned to Seoul to get my third cardio version. I have to say that I find it frustrating that I can't control my body. Then, this year, the flutter was back again (#4). So...I had a radiofrequency ablation done. It was a long and tiring procedure. The success rate for this procedure is about 90%, so I have my fingers crossed that I have been "cured." There may be no identifiable reason for the flutter, but there are three possible triggers that relate to me: alcohol, caffeine, and stress. I can easily control the first two and I have been doing meditation and stress reduction exercises for the third.

I feel a little strange. I have read many books and seen many movies where characters have life changing moments. The first time I had to have the cardioversion done, I was pretty scared. When it was successful, I walked out of the hospital and the sky seemed bluer, the air fresher, and life more precious...for a couple of weeks. I'm now on my third life changing experience and I have to say I feel like a bit of a dolt. Not many people get even one wake-up call. I have had four. My attitude towards life really needs an adjustment. I have read so many books about getting my life in order. I've been a nominal Buddhist and Taoist for years. And still, I worry too much about the future and agonize about the past. I know I shouldn't. I'm really lucky in my life. I have a good job and a good place to live. Many of my colleagues like and respect me for the job I do. I have loved and been loved. My health is good (at least for now). I should be happier.

Next week on Wednesday, I will be going to Ko Chang, Thailand for two weeks. My plan at this time is to do nothing special each day except read, meditate, write, swim, and exercise. I hope that I can at least get started on making some of the changes that I need to. Perhaps it will a time to finally get started on my novel (Where is my muse?).

When I come back, I will start studying Korean again a bit more seriously. I also want to learn to play the piano. I'm a little old for this perhaps, but I touch type quite well, so I have the ability to move my fingers without too much thought. If I get a keyboard and a computer program to teach me, it should help to keep me out of the bars.

No comments: