Monday, January 30, 2006

Saunas

Perhaps the single most relaxing thing I have ever done is Korea is to spend a couple of hours at the sauna. It's very very nice. There is one large area which is co-ed and has several dry saunas. I usually pop in and out of the saunas half a dozen times over an hour - with a lot of lying around in the common area watching TV. Then in the men's area (and I'm assuming in the women's area as well), there are more dry saunas and steam baths as well as hot, warm, and cold tubs for soaking. The hot baths are great, but the cold bath in the winter is really cold. I think there were little ice cubes floating around tonight. Two hours at the sauna leaves me limp as an overboiled spaghetti noodle.

The social aspect of saunas was for me a real eye-opener. Although I live in Korea and teach Koreans, I don't often see the happy, relaxed interaction of families, couples, and groups of friends that you see at the sauna. For many people, it is an all night or all day experience. People come into the large co-ed area, go into the sauna, laze around and watch TV, eat, sleep, go back into the sauna, chat, sleep, eat, and so on endlessly. Because no one seems to have anywhere to go or anything to do, they are all very relaxed. All the people are in their uniform t-shirt and shorts - often with a towel wrapped around their hair, so there is no concern over appearance. All in all - a very cool experience.





1 comment:

Anonymous said...

"Wanderer" --nice term. Sorry to hear about the health issues (can't have been easy), but glad you are well.

Wonderful blog. Very impressive. I liked your account of the sauna, your description of the ice cubes floating, the common sauna, the phrase "overboiled spaghetti noodle,"; enjoyed your account of the walk down the river(stream?) in your previous post, the mallard ducks...(I wouldn't know one duck from another).

Read your other posts, too. Didn't know you were an admirer of the Dalai Lama. I, too, have great respect for him. I've read some of his work, especially like "The Art of Happiness." I have him also on CD,listen to him, especially when I'm stuck in traffic.

Your link was fun, too, with the listing of language websites. Didn't know you like Haruki Murakami. Though our reading tastes sometimes differ, I see you have some of my favorite books on your list. "Samurai Garden," to name one.

Have a good two weeks in Thailand.