Monday, February 06, 2006

Thai vacation

A full description with photos of my Thai vacation will have to wait until after I return to Seoul on the 16th and can upload some pictures; however, the past 6 days have been such a pleasant change from the crowds (11 million people) in Seoul and the horrendous air pollution there. I'm staying at a nice, small resort that is in the middle of nowhere. It's quite quiet and the air is fairly fresh. The temperature is pleasant and the humidity doesn't seem too bad. Most of my time here has been very relaxing. I get up in the morning and have a pleasant breakfast buffet (with lots of fresh fruit). Then I sit in the shade by the pool and read or write until lunch - puntuated with an occassional dip is the cool pool. Lunch is usually a nice light plate of fried noodles or fried rice - then back to the pool or gym. There are lots of birds, butterflies, and flowers everywhere. All in all, it is a very nice way to spend time. I don't think that I've ever had a vacation like this (where I haven't wanted to go anywhere or see anything). If I need a little more of a diversion next week, I might rent a scooter and drive around the island.

As with all of my recent vacations, I start out with great plans for self-development. Over the last few days, I've been reading "Everyday Ethics" and "Entering the Tao." I actually feel better in general. In my 20s and 30s, my favorite authors were Kahlil Gibran and Lin Yutang. I loved to read philosophical texts of all kinds. I developed an interest in Buddhism and Taoism. These authors and books were thought provoking and interesting. Then, at some point in my early 40s, I got lost. These books lost their ability to move me. In my 20s, I believed (and lived) the idea that conflict was bad. I would do almost anything to avoid conflict. I was also interested in other people and was an excellent listener. I think that I tried to move gently through life. Then, at some point in my 40s, I became opinionated, obstinate, and intolerant - much less interested in what other people thought especially if they didn't agree with me. I am much rougher than I would like to be. This blog has two purposes really. One is to let my friends and family know what I am doing, so there will be travel and cultural encounter features. The other purpose is to let my family and friends know what I am thinking. I will try not to be pompous and preachy. If I fail in that, I hope that someone will reach out and slap me.

Although I can't say that I really like "Entering the Tao," the author has suggested some goals that seem worthy of consideration:

1) mellowness of mind
2) a healthy, balanced life
3) an unobstructed, undefeated spirit
4) loving people and rendering service
5) unifying the body and mind
6) enjoying simple relationships and things
7) frequent self-examination of one's personal and public life
8) avoidance of obsession and extravagance
9) humility
10) constantly collecting the floating emotions that take you out of your center

Hopefully, the peacefullness that I feel now will stay with me when I am back in Seoul. I hope that this will be a good year.

No comments: