Tuesday, February 21, 2006

Getting old

Last night, I watched Bill Murray in Broken Flowers and I have to say that it cut a little too close to the bone for comfort. I have had more than a few relationships over the years, and, for reasons that always seemed good, I have ended numerous relationships with nice women. I have never thought of myself as cruel and heartless, but I don't think I ever really really thought about the scars that are left, in many cases, forever. I am fairly lucky in that of the three women I was most serious about two are still quite close to me and we meet whenever I am back in Canada. I thank my lucky stars that they don't hate me. I guess it helped that our relationships never ended because of another person. Still, watching Bill Murray living out a somewhat sad, somewhat disfunctional life reminded me a lot of myself. Another of his movies, Lost in Translation, also seemed like a page torn out of my biography. A couple of months ago, I watched 2046 (a Wong Kar-Wai film) and felt the same close connection with another somewhat sad, disfunctional character, Tony Leung. I really liked these three movies, but they all left me feeling troubled by the flaws in their characters that feel so much like my own flaws.

Perhaps I need to start watching different movies. I think I'll put on a James Bond flick tonight and see if I can see myself in a more heroic role.

On a slightly different note, it's odd, but 20 years ago, when I was in Korea, everyone thought that I looked like Marc Singer. The little kids used to run up to me and shout "V" "V" - that was a tv series that was very popular here.



Well, okay, I wasn't quite that tanned.

Now, however, they all think that I look like Clint Eastwood or Harrison Ford.





I know that I've aged, and I know that those two guys are still kind of hunky, but, hey, I'm not quite that old and wrinkled. Right?

No comments: