Sunday, February 19, 2006

I'm back



My vacation in Thailand is now over. I'm now back in Korea. I don't think that I've ever NOT wanted to return to Korea so much. It makes me sad.

I know it's not fair to compare Seoul (one of the most crowded, polluted cities in the developed world) with Koh Chang, an undeveloped tropical island. However, from the time that I arrived at the airport in Bangkok until I arrived in Seoul (after one of the most uncomfortable flights I've ever had), I really didn't want to come back. My first week and an half in Koh Chang was the most relaxing time that I think I've ever had. I really didn't do much of anything. I read, wrote in my journal, and lazed by the pool. No one bumped me. No one raced past me and then cut in on me. Everyone seemed to be genuinely happy to talk to me. The air was fresh. Everything was green. And, now, I'm back in Seoul and it's a little cold and very grey.

While on vacation, I made a number of resolutions that I hoped would help me to be happy living in Korea. I think I need to go back to my journal and reread those resolutions.







I hope that I can remain upbeat. I think that this next school year will be good despite the fact that they've already screwed up the students' registration for classes. I'll have to go in to the office tomorrow to see what I need to do. On the 10th (while still on vacation in Thailand), I received an email saying that all professors had to put their syllabi on the Sogang website between the 9th and the 15th. I didn't have the information that I needed for my classes nor login information so I couldn't do that from Thailand. I was told not to worry - I could do it when I got back; however, this weekend, I logged on and tried to do what they asked, but I couldn't add any information, so I don't know what they expect. It probably won't be any problem, but I wish it was planned a little better.

My Thailand vacation photos are available here.

I've always associated Thailand, Indonesia, and Brunei with lush green and flowers.

2 comments:

Kurios1978 said...

Great stuff... checking out the photos now.

Coincidentally, I'll be going to Bangkok for a week on a conference. Might squeeze in two days to see the sights. Unfortunately won't have the time to see the beautiful beaches everyone brags about... *Grrrr

Ah well, will try to catch it on my own time in the future then.

Welcome back, and do cheer up. It'll be spring and there'll be cherry blossoms, which are a sight to look forward to. :)

The Wanderer said...

Thanks for the encouragement. The spring in Korea is really nice and I am looking forward to it. I'll get my camera out and wander a bit then.