Saturday, August 19, 2006

Canadian Vacation Part 2

After a most excellent stay with my older brother in Kamloops, I returned to Vancouver on Monday. I haven't spent that much time with my brother for many years and I have missed a lot. He is a good friend and a good companion. While, I have gained a world of experience by living and traveling abroad for many years, I have missed a lot as well. I think his dog will miss me, too.

The last night in Kamloops, my older brother, his wife, her sister, and I went to an outdoor concert - country music of course. It was a pleasant evening. There were even horses in the park. The air was fresh and a little cool. It was nice to be sitting on chairs on the grass in a park with hundreds of other people.


Wednesday, I went to Sechelt on the Sunshine Coast and went kayaking with an friend. It was fantastic. I haven't been out in a kayak for at least a year and, as usual, the gentle rocking of the boat and the smell of salt water brought great pleasure. I've kayaked a hundred times in many areas, but, when I went out on Wednesday, I paddled through a few small islands and the harbour seals came closer than I've ever seen them. There were dozens of them on the rocks and in the water. Almost all were females with their pups. A few were close enough to touch with a paddle and they seemed to have no fear. Then I paddled past a Great Blue Heron that stood and watched from about 20 meters away before it lazily took wing. We had beautiful weather for the whole trip. It was incredible (and hope I can remember it whent things get stressful after school starts.

I will try to get out for a few more paddles before I leave on Tuesday. I'd love to take pictures from my kayak, but my camera is a not waterproof.

No comments: