Thursday, August 31, 2006

How embarassing

This story made me chuckle, but...

Pilot locked out of Jazz cabin mid-flight


I have locked myself out of my car before and remember (as I was shutting the door) looking through the window to see my keys on the passenger seat. It was quite embarassing. Imagine how you would feel if you were the pilot of a plane and couldn't get back into the cockpit.

And, let's forget about the pilot's embarassment for a minute. Imagine that you are a passenger. You look down the aisle and see the pilot - yanking and then pounding on the cockpit door. Then you hear, "Ladies and gentlemen, this is your pilot speaking. We are experiencing a small problem. I can't get into the cockpit to land the plane. Please don't worry the First Officer has trained on simulators and thinks he can land the plane." Imagine your discomfort.

The other part of this story that was interesting and far more disturbing was that a pilot locking himself or herself out of the cabin is a "non-reportable" incident. What? How could that be? Are there other serious incidents that are also not reportable?

I'm tempted to say, "only in Canada," but that's probably not true.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Funny story (though it does have dangerous implications)