Tuesday, October 31, 2006

KOTESOL

This past weekend, the Korea Teachers of English to Speakers of Other Languages (KOTESOL) organization had their annual conference. It ended a long and rather tiring week (midterm grades were due on the 27th). I also had a visitor from Dubai who was a presenter at the conference, so I was out showing her the wonders of Seoul. It was really nice to see her after two years. Showing my friend around was pleasant, but a lot of stuff didn't get done. I'm actually wearing my last clean dress shirt now, and I have a pile of laundry that's almost as tall as me.

The conference was very pleasant. I've always liked going to teachers' conferences. It feels good to be in a room full of teachers who are mostly there at their own expense for professional development. I saw half a dozen good presentations and, this time, there were no stinkers. Some of the presentations were helpful. Often they remind me of things that I once knew but forgot. Sometimes, I hear about things that I do, but are done in different ways. And, sometimes, I hear things that make me sit up and say, "Why didn't I think of that?" The publishers' displays are always full of really cool books (Yes, I know, you're thinking, "How can a grammar book be cool." Well, it takes all kinds.)

I met a few new people and chatted with some old friends. All in all, it was a weekend well-spent. My grades are done. Now I need to get that laundry done and go to the gym.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

"Last clean dress shirt..." Get that laundry done. :)

Anonymous said...

It was nice to see the two of you!

The Wanderer said...

Thanks, Nathan. Ditto.

Anonymous said...

Nathan, it was good to meet you. It's a pity that your presentation was scheduled at the same time as mine. I would've liked to have attended your session.

Mark, this week must be slower paced than the last.

Among other things, I miss Korean food. I could do with a bowl of steaming-hot bimibap, or bulgogi with half-dozen delicious side dishes. Oh well.

Anonymous said...

Sorry, Delhi Dusk, I hadn't revisited this thread until now. It was nice to meet you, too.

Mark, I hope that one of these days (perhaps in the week after this next one), we can meet up and finally "do" that textiles museum at Sookdae!