Sunday, October 01, 2006

Art???

The mayor has decided to add some sculpture in order to beautify the city and to draw tourists. The artists commissoned were Claes Oldenburg (U.S.A) and Coosje van Bruggen (the Netherlands). The sculpture, Spring, has drawn a fair amount of criticism. Because it was installed at the head of the Cheonggyecheon, where I begin my Sunday morning walks, I thought I would check it out.

An article in the Korea Times reviews the art:
Chonggyechon's Sculpture Unveiled Amid Controversy

The city is hoping that the sculpture will draw tourists, however, these visitor said,

"...I was just thinking: Dear God! What is that? It’s so ugly. It just isn’t attractive.’’...

"It looks like an ice cream," said Taru Salminen, an employee at the Embassy of Finland in Seoul. When the project was explained, she reconsidered. "Oh, it could also be a shell, now that you mention it," she said....

Sean Freer of Australia was summary in his judgment. "It’s an eyesore," he said. "Why not have something cultural?"

................................
Driving through Seoul, Oldenburg saw it differently and defended the towering blue and red snail. ‘‘The sight [sic] is beautifully solved by the piece. It’s a big opening: The river is flowing, and "Spring" creates a source.’’

While it's not the most horrendous piece of sculpture I've ever seen, t
he sculpture is a shell; how does that reflect the idea of the source of a river or stream? I'm assuming that the snail is the type that is sold on the streets so it does have a local component. From the east at a distance, it does seem to fit in...however...$4,000,000.

From previous posts, you will know that I'm not always supportive of modern art. You be the judge.




















A new addition to Cheonggyecheon is the "replica" of the Cheomseongdae astronomical observatory in Kyongju. The replica is interesting in the the "bricks" are automobile headlights. I don't know if it lights up at night. That many headlights shining in your eyes could be a little bit too much; however, it is interesting. Perhaps the lights have a connection to the stars. Okay, I'd pay a little bit for this.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

No, I wouldn't call it art. Ice cream cone is what came to mind. Something cultural would've been nicer. Like you, I don't understand a lot of modern art.

Anonymous said...

Purple and pink...the first thing I thought was 'Barney Poop'.

Yeah, tourists come to Korea for weird sculptures from Western artists. Good call.