Saturday, October 21, 2006

Palaces

I've seen the palaces in Seould evolve greatly over the past years. 20 or 30 years ago, my favorite palace was Kyungbok. However, because of its location, it has become the main stop for tourists and it has become crowded, noisy, and far to neat. Doksu Palace is pleasant because it has a modern art museum that often has good exhibits, but it's not very interesting structurally. The walk outside of Doksu around the back is still nice. Now I've developed a liking for Changgyeong Palace, but it is often seems to be crowded with school children.

I usually go to Changgyeong by getting off the subway at Jongno 3-ga and then I walk through Jongmyo Shrine to the back and cross over the road to Changgyeong. I have to say that Jongmyo Shrine may become a favorite simply because it is quite quiet. I think the signs at both entrances make a small difference. Well, that and the fact that I heard some old guy bark at some noisy kids.

As an English teacher, I always have my grammar radar working, and I have to think that this sign should say, "Please be solemn" or perhaps "Please be quiet" (I think that solemn is the appropriate feeling though). Unfortunately, I didn't have my red pen to correct it.

The pictures in the sidebar were taken on Saturday morning. One of my favorite pictures has always been this "Barren Tree". I took this several years ago, and I went back to the tree to see what it was doing in fall. It's a lovely persimmon tree, and it certainly looks different covered in orange persimmons rather than snow. I still like the barren tree picture more.




















2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love the contrasting pictures--the barren tree, the tree full of persimmons. The barren tree is stark in it's beauty. The same tree in autumn is lush with fruit, with life. It's almost hard to imagine it's the same tree. But it IS. Reminds me of the flux of seasons, of life. Also, the resilence of life.

I once sat under that tree, an autumn afternoon two years ago. I have a special fondness for that particular tree.

Anonymous said...

Changgyeongung is my favorite palace.