Sunday, September 28, 2008

A new toy

I don't know how I've lived so long without one - a GPS that is. It's so cool. I bought a Garmin GPS today. While sitting in my car, I turned it on and it immediately found my location (easily then designated at Home). I typed in Barracuda, and it quickly found the Barracuda Beach Resort in Umm Al Quwain. I took the GPS for a test drive (unfortunately, the Barracuda really is closed until the first day of Eid). It's so cool to have the GPS tell you, "After 600 meters, turn right." Even when I turned too soon (and got lost), it just said, "Recalculating" and then it gave me new directions. Okay, the "Recalculating" voice did sound a tad condescending, but perhaps it was just my imagination. I know that it won't be perfect because of all the recent road changes, but it will help a lot. I think it will also enhance my safe driving ability because I will be able to focus on traffic while my GPS tells me where to go. I'm looking forward to taking it for a test drive in Dubai soon.

1 comment:

Delhi Dusk said...

I have an inbuilt GPS and I love "her." Sally recalculates when I take a wrong turn. I remember one night driving home late and the weather was bad and it was reassuring to have her there!