Friday, March 05, 2010

Tony Parsons

I just finished My Favorite Wife by Tony Parsons, and I highly recommend it. I've liked his previous work (Man and Boy, Man and Wife). His characters are always basically good people who screw up (usually by screwing someone that they shouldn't have) and end up hurting themselves and their loved ones. They often manage to stumble through to a somewhat uplifting ending. I generally read his books with alternating feelings of anger and sadness. I almost always get a little teary (although no tears actually fell). I think the fact that I feel strong emotions when I read his books says a lot about how realistic and well-written his books are.

I was checking out his other books at Amazon and found out that he has written a book with an English teacher as the main character. I'll have to pick that one up for my next read.

2 comments:

Nathan B. said...

That was a really interesting review, Mark. I enjoyed reading of your reaction to the book, which sounds interesting.

Delhi Dusk said...

Thanks for the review. I've begun reading the book.