Thursday, May 11, 2006

Air raid sirens and the thoughts they cause

I was sitting in my office this afternoon with the window open and a siren went off very briefly. It wasn't much except that it reminded me of a weekend not long ago when the air raid sirens at Yongsan went off and continued for what seemed like 5 or 10 minutes (It's possible that my bad memory is failing me. At any rate, the sirens lasted longer than I expected for a simple test), and it reminded me of August 8, 1983.

Living close to Yongsan Army Base means that, if North Korea attacks, the base will probably be a priority target; however, the reality is that, if there ever is an attack, most of Seoul will be hit so there isn't any place that is safe.

In the 80's, we had monthly air raid drills (on the 15th of every month I think) and people took the possibility of an attack by the North a little more seriously than they do now. However, the drills were regular and no one got too worked up. If you were walking on the streets, you went into the subway stairways or into buildings. If you were on a bus, the bus stopped and you joined the pedestrians sheltering in the subways and buildings.

In 1983, the air sirens went off on an unusual day (August 8) and, as I was slowly strolling to the subway to get off the street, some of the air raid marshals (guys working in buildings but in charge of getting everyone off the streets) started to yell at me more than usual, so I quickened my pace and went down into the subway stairs where lots of people were already standing. Unusually, there were loudspeaker broadcasts going as well. I remember looking at the Koreans around me, and they were starting to look scared. I wasn't able to understand what was being said, but a Korean man beside me said that the broadcasts were saying that the North Koreans were bombing Inchon. By this time, people around me were crying and falling to the ground.

It turned out that it was a false alarm caused by a Chinese pilot defecting from China to South Korea. I guess the Chinese and North Koreans scrambled jets to try to intercept him (unsuccessfully). That caused radars to light up everywhere.

At the time (and again a couple of weeks ago), it felt weird. If a war started, what could I do? You can't just say to the North Koreans, "I'm only visiting, so, if it's okay with you, I'll just go home." So what then...go to a bombed out Canadian embassay and ask for - an airlift home? Unlikely. Could I get help from the Americans? They would undoubtedly try to help but would probably be overwhelmed? Walk to Pusan? If you are on the north side of the Han River, that could be problematic. The word in the 80s was that all of the bridges were rigged to be blown so that a North Korean invasion couldn't easily cross. I don't know what the plan is now. And, millions of people trying to cross the bridges would have led to some serious congestion.

Then, on the long walk south, what about food and shelter?

In 1983, my Korean friends were quite shaken for a long time.

I don't really expect an invasion, but the reality is that it is possible (however remote). It would be problematic, and I don't think a Canadian flag on my backpack would make much difference. Fortunately, there are not many daily reminders of the danger and life continues as though there is peace and love for all on the Korean penninsula. Tonight I'll go the gym and perhaps go out for a beer and a game of pool.

CHINESE DEFECTOR FLIES JET TO SEOUL

Officials here said that a Chinese Air Force test pilot defected to South Korea today in a MIG-21 fighter plane, setting off air-raid warnings all over the country. The state radio interrupted programs to say the enemy was attacking by air in areas west of Seoul. The radio reported later that the alert was caused by the MIG-21 flown by the defecting pilot, Sun Dianjin, 46 years old.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

A fascinating little piece of history.