Sunday, May 14, 2006

Barefoot in the Park

I just had to go to the Namsan Barefoot Park. It was a lovely day, and I needed to get out of the house. Namsan has developed into quite a nice place to hike. There are many trails and parks scattered all around the mountain. All of the paths have been paved, bricked, or treated in some way so that the walking is easy and safe. The Barefoot Park (or at least one of them) is near the Hyatt Hotel. Just northeast of the entrance to the hotel, there is a pedestrian flyover that takes you to the Barefoot Park and to a lovely wildflower garden.

As for the idea of barefoot parks - hmm. I don't think so, at least not for the non-Korean crowd. I got halfway down the path and almost stopped, but I didn't want to seem like a sissy so I toughed it out. My feet are still sore hours later. The lady in the picture below couldn't seem to decide whether she liked it or not.

I've always found Koreans to be a hearty lot, but they often do things that are painful and, in my opinion, not really helpful - all in the name of good health. In the gym, they slap and hit their muscles in ways that always leave me wondering - What are you doing? I have had many massages in Korea, and have always found them quite painful - bone on bone. I once saw a customer in a barbershop turn on his stomach in the barber chair (so that his back was bent quite hard backward) and then the barber knee-walked up and down his back while the customer grunted and groaned. Needless to say, when they asked me if I wanted a massage, I said no. Korean shower sandels often have knobs on the part that contacts your sole. They are uncomfortable after about 30 seconds.

I think that most Koreans have the idea that, if it doesn't hurt, it isn't good for you.

I'm glad that they are making parks of any sort, but the barefoot park just doesn't seem like an idea that will take off.

In general, I'm really pleased with the things that the Seoul City government has done to make the city greener and nicer. It still has a long way to go, but, compared to what it was like twenty years ago, they have done some good things. They've added paths along the Han River, rebuilt the Cheongyecheon Stream, and put many parks around the city. Today, I saw these lovely Rufous Turtle Doves - the first time I've seen them in the city.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

When I was visiting my (now) ex-girlfriend in Germany (this was a few years ago, well before I met my wife), I noticed they had barefoot parks in the southern parts of the country. I tried it, but was glad to put my shoes on again.

I agree about Seoul becoming much more green. Actually, I think there is far more green space here than there is in Toronto (excluding High Park).