Tuesday, May 16, 2006

Hello...is anyone home?

I'm sure that, if I were back home in Canada, I could find things that puzzle and irritate me just as much as these; however, since I'm here, let me say some people in Korea need a slap upside the head.

Now, I know that it's possible that this motorcycle rider really was handicapped, but I don't think so. One of my nicer colleagues (clearly much more forgiving than I) thought that it was nice for the motorcyclist to park at the EDGE of the handicapped spot. Yes, I'm sure that makes it okay......... Not! There's legal parking 30 metres away. How lazy do you have to be? I think the bike should be put into a metal compactor and turned into a park bench.















Then there's this sign. I'm sure someone said, "There's a rule that all stairwells need exit signs." This one is in the stairwell between the 4th and 5th floor of a 5-story building. What is it telling us? We're in a stairwell. Go sideways? Go up to the 5th floor? Go down to the 4th floor? Didn't someone think, "We don't just need an exit sign. We need an exit sign that directs us OUT." I've been away from home for a long time and I don't remember what signage our stairwells have, but surely it can't be this.





















This one is a little old, but I've been looking for a place to post it. A few months ago, it was decided that all of the subway stations needed emergency phones. Let me make it clear, all of the subway stations in SEOUL, KOREA.















It didn't take long for the authorities to realize that they had an problem. I'm sure that, when people started to use the emergency phone to try to call their mothers and friends, they realized that no one knew what 'EMERGENCY' meant. To their credit, the problem was corrected quickly (see picture below). HOWEVER, why didn't someone think that it would be a problem to have 'EMERGENCY" written in a language that most people wouldn't understand?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think the second picture is to remind people seeking the exit not to jump out the window.

Anonymous said...

"The bike should be put into a metal compactor and turned into a park bench." Funny. I second that.

Anonymous said...

The second comment is from me, not anonymous (I''m guessing now...Party Pooper). I forgot to put in my name...

Anonymous said...

To avoid further confusion (and since I've been outed anyway), I wil proudly put my pseudonym on all my comments here in the future.

The Wanderer said...

That's very brave of you.