Friday, September 22, 2006

Leeum Museum 2

The first time I went to the Leeum Museum, it took a couple of hours to wander through the traditional art museum, which I rather enjoyed. However, I was a little tired by the time I had seen the traditional art collection and didn't get to the modern art museum.

So, I went back to see the contemporary art collection on Thursday. Now, I enjoy some modern art. And, I did enjoy going to the Museum of Contemporary Art, although I'm sure that my artist companion was sometimes put out by my occassional scoffing.

I enjoyed some of the art in the Leeum's Museum 2. I like Park Soo-Keun's work, which I have seen before. You can actually see what he is painting.




















I look at Chang Uc-chin's work and think, "A child could do this." "I could do this." I guess I expect an artist to be on a higher level than the average person.









I often end up wandering through galleries full of contemporary and abstract art and sculpture filled with puzzlement and, if I'm feeling generous, sometimes just bemusement. A lot of the art elicits a reaction in me, which may be what the artist wanted, but it is often one of dislike. I end up wondering if they are just poking fun at us or if they are taking advantage of the fact that there isn't anything "to get" and we feel uncultured because we don't understand.

I look at Judd's "sculpture" and I'm not impressed.












Much of the art seems to reek of the artists' egos. It seems pompous or pretentious.

I laughed out loud at this one by Robert Ryman. I think my friend was a little embarassed. I really could do better than this. There are two little stripes on the right and left. The four mounting brackets are actually part of the art. The center is blank.









Joseph Beuys has a piano with one wheel up a little higher than others. What??? I look at it and think, "I hope they didn't pay too much for that."










Nam Jun Paik has a video art exhibit (and quite frankly, I've never liked video "art"). But I look at Paik's "My Faust" and think, "What a pile of crap."











I guess I can accept that fact that perhaps I am part of the great unwashed - one unworthy to gaze upon this art. I really don't get it.

Maybe I should study art more so that I'll know which styles I like and which I don't.

This museum visit was interesting because Jodi had an interesting post about art a few days ago, and someone she met had actually been inspired by Nam Jun Paik. I guess there is enough art out there so that there is something for everyone. Jodi's musings about the character of artists was also interesting. At the Leeum Museum, I got the audio guide and it talked about each work. It was amazing how many of the artists had committed suicide.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good stuff!

For some more Leeum Museum snaps, try this
and that at Flickr, or
Karen Sparks post at the Britannica Blog.