Sunday, December 10, 2006

Strawberry season

It's strawberry season in Korea. In Canada, strawberries are a summer fruit, but, in Korea, they are winter fruit, and all of the berries are grown in greenhouses. My understanding of the strawberries here was that they are all genetically modified organisms (GMO). I'm not sure where I got that information. I vaguely remember reading it in a newspaper. The fact that the strawberries are almost all huge and uniform in size, shape, and colour seems to support this; however, I've spent a lot of time googling 'strawberries,' 'GMO,' and 'Korea' to no avail. My feeling from reading everything that I could find is that Korea is strongly resisting the introduction of GMO food.

The strawberries may be the result of good agricultural natural selection. I think I'll just go with that and enjoy my strawberries on my breakfast cereal. The strawberries in the picture were very sweet and very tasty.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The strawberries look good. I love strawberries, blueberries, cranberries, blackberries....In North America, I enjoy shopping at farmer's markets for breads and fruit. Organic, when possible.