Saturday, December 16, 2006

Too much of a good thing

It's winter vacation and all the parents are trying to find things to help their kids learn more and keep out of trouble. All of the camps, including English camps, are worth looking at, and, if I had kids, I would be checking them out and trying to find some good ones.

I might give Mr. Kim's camp a miss though just for his idiotic suggestion. "Mr. Kim suggests parents establish an 'English Zone [in their homes].' For example, in the morning, English could be mandatory when in the bathroom."

Now I have thought long and hard - as befits such a serious issue - but I can't imagine that there's much need for English (or any language) in the bathroom. Most people are in the bathroom alone. Are they going to talk to themselves in English?

Min Soo: Good morning, Peter (or whatever little Korean kids call their thing).
Peter: Hi, Min Soo.
Min Soo: What you doing now?
Peter: I just hang around. Later I going with you. OK?
Min Soo: (looking in the mirror) Hey, good looking. You hot today.

I just don't see a lot of English being used in the English Bathroom Zone. Perhaps all songs sung in the shower could be in English. And, is there really an important difference between, "Nnngghh!" (English) and "Yaahh!" (Korean)?

No comments: