Wednesday, March 08, 2006

Back at the salt mines

I can't believe that I've only been teaching for 5 days, and I'm already exhausted. I am so looking forward to summer vacation. I have five really nice classes and lots of nice students. I'm only teaching 2-3 classes a day. I'm not overworked. I don't understand it.

I took my vacation to Thailand so that I would be better this semester ( I usually hit a wall here at about 8 months); however, since I came back, I haven't really managed to get into a normal dull, somewhat happy routine. Today, I hip-checked a woman (a woman for God's sake!!!) while getting off the subway. I was getting off the subway, she was standing directly in front of the door when it opened, and she made a dash for an empty seat before anyone could get off. I'm a little embarrassed to admit it, but a few years ago, I realized that if I led with the leg closest to the person about to crash into me and stepped down solidly on the ground just as they bumped me, people would kind of bounce off my leg (I once bounced a running man about 3 meters to the side before he hit a wall and continued running). The faster they are moving, the farther they bounce. I have never moved out of my way to bump someone - just not moved to avoid them (Well, actually, that's not strictly true. I did block a middle aged woman into the wheelwell of a bus because she was trying to cut in on me. I did it gently but firmly though.). I've even stopped turning my shoulders to avoid being bumped on the street. In re-reading this, I sound really terrible. I'm so ashamed. I think I need a friend to slap me. Maybe a trip to the sauna would help. Maybe when the flowers bloom, I'll be okay. I saw a tree with 1cm long buds today. It shouldn't be long.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This sort of thing occasionally happens to us foreigners here. Cathartidae, I believe, has quite story about his own sidewalk incident. Take a deep breath: You're. going. to. be. o.k.!

The Wanderer said...

Thanks for the comments. I know it passes. I just feel a little bad about my behaviour.