Tuesday, March 28, 2006

A true test of acting ability

Can you say it with a straight face? (To see the uncut article)

...interestingly, baring all turned into an effective strategy for actresses to prove their acting skills, commitment and passion for acting. [Right! Nudge, nudge, wink, wink]

"I think of nude scenes as a crucial passage to become a real actress," said actress Um Ji-won after shooting director Hong Sang-soo's "Tale of Cinema." "After stripping in front of the camera, I felt that I could now take any role." [Lauren Bacall and Katherine Hepburn - how can anyone think of them as "real" actresses? They never shot nude.]

Even veteran actresses with over 10 years experience have chosen to shoot nude scenes to reach a higher level of acting.

"I filmed the nude scenes to make a good movie. I can't bear to see that such scenes are being used as tools of promotion," she said [Oh, puleez!]. "I am not an actress who undresses and tumbles about for no reason." [I'm sure she was totally blindsided by this.]

For such reasons, Sung declared that she would from now avoid nude scenes altogether. [Gosh, perhaps she's not a "real" actress after all.]

"It is not the nude scenes that burden me. It's the people who like to make an issue out of them," she said. "I wish people would take the nude scenes as they are and talk no more about them." [Yes, it's our fault for not being able to see her true talent.]

...many actresses fail to attain the title of a skilled actress even after shooting nude scenes. [I don't understand it. I was nude. Why don't they love me?]

[And if they refuse to do nude movies] Movie critics, however, criticize Jeon for focusing too much on her "star strategy" to work on her acting, becoming an "actress without a soul."

After the major box office hit "My Sassy Girl," Jeon has failed to draw audiences to her movies including "Windstruck" and "Daisy." [Yes, I'm sure a little nudity would have saved those movies.]

Despite her 14-year acting career, actress Kim Ji-soo also made it a policy to avoid nudity.

Needless to say [Right. Needless to say.] , nude scenes are often necessary for the narrative of the movie [I knew that something was missing from Casablanca but I just couldn't put my finger on it]. Thus, the fact that actresses no longer avoid going nude to make the best movie is a positive turn of the trend. [Definitely positive]

Almost every sentence contradicts the one before. I'd give it a D-. I don't know which is worse, the actresses who said the things above or the writer for writing such a pile of crap.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I enjoyed your asides. Made me laugh. The article/actresses comments are hilariously alogical. Yes, Casablanca would've been a better movie with couple nude scenes; Katherine Hepburn should have done a few, too.

Anonymous said...

I have always felt that movies like Misery, Throw Momma from the Train and Driving Miss Daisy would have been much better with some nude scenes from the leading actresses.

But I guess that's just me.

The Wanderer said...

And, who would you like to see nude in Driving Miss Daisy? Jessica Tandy, Morgan Freeman, or Dan Aykroyd? Tough choice.