Sunday, March 12, 2006

A breath of fresh air

I, and probably a large number of other people, have had enough of the Hwang Woo-suk story. I think it is unfortunate that the breakthrough that Hwang's research seemed have made turned out to be false. The man seems like a very rotten apple, but I don't think that the world looks at Hwang's faults as Korea's fault's, and, for me, the worst thing about the whole story was the response of a lot of Koreans who wanted to look the other way. Lots of blame was piled on the people who were trying to find the truth. There have been a number of violent Hwang supporters picketing. It is nice, however, to see that there are some people who are not afraid to speak out. I've always disliked rabid nationalism and I'm glad that there are Koreans who are saying that it is wrong.
"What we should be ashamed of is not Dr. Hwang. In any country, you can find a monster scientist who will do anything for achievement and manipulate a paper. What we should be ashamed of ... is insane patriotism in which the truth is hidden for the sake of national interests," said analyst Jin Joong-kwon in his column.
The Korea Herald

No comments: