Thursday, April 27, 2006

Chicken Soup for the Soul

I've started re-reading The Art of Happiness. I am always so awed by the lack of anger and bitterness in the Dalai Lama, so I find his words particularly meaningful. The quote below is from the beginning of Chapter 1.
"I believe that the very purpose of our life is to seek happiness. That is clear. Whether one believes in religion or not, whether one believes in this religion or that religion, we all are seeking something better in life. So, I think, the very motion of our life is towards happiness..."
Dalai Lama
So, I thought, what better way to be happy than to go to one of my favorite restaurants. Lately, so much of the news has been depressing and outrageous, and I've decided that I want to blog with a bit of positive energy. Today, my favorite restaurant for chicken soup (닭곰탕) - 사랑방.

This restaurant is a somewhat old fashioned (as in 1960s) type of place: cheap furniture, not much decoration, napkins in a roll that looks suspiciously like toilet paper, but the food is great and the portions large (I feel a little guilty when I think of all the flocks of chickens that have been decimated for my meals). The basic side dishes are always fresh and tasty. In addition, they almost always give a little special side dish gratis (see the picture below on the right). Then, when you leave, you get a little Yakult to cleanse your palate. All of this for W3,500 (U.S.$3.70/CDN$4.17) - what a deal!


The restaurant is run by several really pleasant women. At first glance, one might think that a restaurant called 사랑방 (Love Room) might be some dodgy place that provides a little something special for desert if you know what I mean (nudge, nudge, wink, wink), but I suspect it is related more to their Christian beliefs than anything else.

To get there, stand at the front gate of Sogang University and look across the road (west). A little to the left you will see this building. You have to go into the garage as though you want to get your oil changed and up the stairs on the right to the second floor.

Next week, I'll tell you about the best bibimbap (비빔밥) in the world (not just in Korea).

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I would've have been hesitant to visit a "Love Room," situated past a garage, a restaurant on the second floor..The name and the location suggests something else entirely. Nice pictures. Food looks good.

I have the Art of Happiness on CD and listen to it fairly often when I drive. At the moment, I'm reading "Destructive Emotions: A Dialogue with the Dalai Lama," Narrated by Daniel Goleman (the author of Emotional Intelligence). I admire the Dalai Lama a great deal. He's 70 now, and it's amazing how much he does--the person he is.