Tuesday, April 25, 2006

King Kong

King Kong is out on DVD now, so I bought it watched it last weekend when I should have been working. Cool. I really enjoyed it, and I'm glad that I now have a big screen tv.

DVD is really great because of all the extras. I've really been enjoying the making-of-the-movie disc.

I liked Naomi Watts and Adrien Brody. I particularly liked Brody and I can't believe that I've never seen any of his other movies (I'll have to rent The Pianist). I have to say, though, that I thought Jack Black was a bit over the top. Yes, that's right. In a movie with a giant ape, dinasours, huge worms, oversize spiders, and numerous other weird creatures, one of the characters was a little too over the top. I kept thinking, he's the vaudeville star - but he wasn't.

All my female colleagues were quite impressed with Kong and wished that all males were like him. I'm not sure that I really understand the attraction, but, as I get older, I'm getting a lot hairyer and a lot gruffer. I'm hoping that that's what they want.

All in all, a very enjoyable movie.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I saw King Kong a while ago. In part, it offends my feminist consciousness--too much of the strong man and the dependant woman...But that said, what I did like about Kong was that under all that hair and gruffness, he was ompassionate, faithful, and loving. That, to me, is what most people want--irrespective of their gender.

Yes, you should see The Pianist. Very good. I'm still reading Snow, and, simultaneouly, Russo's The Empire Falls. Turkey and small town American--a diverse experience.

I wish you luck with your Korean language classes. A good resolve. Your life will get busier.

As always, take care. I hope to still "see" you on the blog.