Tuesday, April 25, 2006

A new resolution (again)

I have decided that I really need to get down to studying Korean again. Learning Korean has been a frustrating experience for me. In 1984, I completed the Level 1 course at Yonsei, and then I didn't practice. I know it's a crappy excuse, but, 20 years ago, the reaction of most Koreans to any non-Koreans speaking Korean was laughter and derision. It made it really hard to want to practice. Then, in 1985, I spent a few months at LTRC doing more basic Korean and didn't practice.

In 2004, I took the beginner course at Sogang University and loved it. After a month and a half, I felt like I was finally able to say some thing other than, "How much is that?" Oddly enough, one of the best converstations that I've ever had in Korean was in the Hollywood Bar with an American who, when he learned that I was studying Korean, refused to speak to me in anything but Korean. We talked for 20 minutes and I was amazed at my ability. Then I got a job teaching English and stopped studying and practicing. Now I'm back to the basic level again. I'm feeling frustrated with myself.

I found it interesting that Jodie has found a non-Korean Korean tutor. Perhaps someone who has learned the language can understand the needs of other learners better.

I learned how to read Korean in a couple of days in 1983 and I've been able to do basic things for a long time, but I haven't been able to get beyond the beginner level. Part of my problem is that, for all of the years that I've spent in Korea, I have not one male Korean friend. I know that the modern Korean man is different (at least until he does his military training and gets a company job), but Korean men my age (middle-aged) are often unpleasant to socialize with. When I don't want to drink anymore, I really don't want to drink anymore. I also don't want to hang out at a sleazy room salon. I don't find their stories of smacking their wives around or having sex with hookers funny. And, I don't really want to feel used for my English all of the time.

At my age, all of my Korean female friends are married, have children, and don't feel comfortable socializing with me.

So, the plan is now to study on my own at home for a few months. I might try to get a Korean who doesn't speak English to help. I refuse to do another Level 1 course. I'll make myself talk to strangers. Taxi drivers are usually pretty good practice. I have enough books, CDs, and material to get to Level 3 by the end of the summer. Then I'll see if I can get back into Sogang. I might even take the official Korean language exam to inspire myself.

Wish me luck, and give me a kick in the ass if you see me on the street.

Now I'm off to study (Tuesday, Thursday, and either Saturday or Sunday for at least two hours at a time - do-able baby steps).

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

You studied at my old hagwon. It looks like their Korean program did you about as much good as it did me!

While teaching at LTRC, I particularly enjoyed teaching the elementary teachers who were enrolled in the adult program there before it terminated when I and another teacher left. The bulk of these teachers were women. They were really nice to socialize with, but most of them were married. If you could find a way to meet teachers, perhaps you could socialize with them, especially if they are older, i.e. in their 50's or so.

I agree with you about how overbearing Korean middle aged men often are, or at least, seem to be. I think that this will eventually change for the better.

Sean said...

Your more than welcome to sign up on my Korean learning blog 한국어 연습장 . I finished level 2 at Sogang over the winter, but was at an awkward level - too strong for two, but apparently not good enough for three according to the teacher. Anyhow the course was well worth the money and time.

I'll be taking classes there every winter semester. Can't do spring or fall since I teach and the wife insists on international travel every summer.

What kind of CDs are you talking about? Language learning CDs or music or audio books? I'd be very intersted in hearing what you plan on using for listening material. Anyhow I hope you drop by 한국어 연습장, register and start posting.

The Wanderer said...

I have a CD called Korean Through English that has 75 lessons (video, reading, grammar, vocab), Korean Through Active Listening Books 1 and 2 on tape (although I burned them into an mp3 format for my iRiver, and Exciting Korean (Ewha U) (also burned to mp3 format). I have Modern Conversational Korean (which I like), Functional Korean (which is pretty good), and Survival Korean (the Steven Revere book). They are all pretty basic and there's a lot of repetition, but it should be good for me. I have enough stuff to work on. I just need the inspiration.

Thanks, Geek. I will register and use your resources.

Sean said...

Looking forward to having you on board.

Anonymous said...

Hey!!! Good luck with your lessons!

If you need another book recommendation, check out the series by Francis Y.T. Park. (It's what my teacher has chosen for me and it's a series so if you are beyond beginner, you don't have to start with Book 1.)

I am very pleased with it and my teacher.

And I can totally understand your problem about befriending Korean men of a certain age.

Actually, I prefer to talk to old geezers myself because out of all my Korean friends, only one of them has the patience to talk to me in Korean 100% of the time.

Also, the couple that runs the dry cleaners on my street have been awesome practice buddies for me!

For me, the older the better. Old folks seem to have the most patience and I just feel more comfortable trying to talk around them--probably because they don't know a lick of English--I mean, absolutely nothing of it so they appreciate the effort more!

The best of luck to you!